Recipe credit: Chef Madhulika, Diwali Chakli recipe
- ½ cup rice flour
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 pinch asafoetida
- 1 tbsp split black gram flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- Frying oil
- Add ½ cup water, ½ tsp cumin seed, ¼ tsp turmeric powder, ½ tsp red chili powder, 1 tsp of sesame, less than ¼ tsp of salt, 1 tsp of ghee, 1 pinch asafoetida, and mix well into a frying pan, bringing to a boil.
- Once boiled, add ½ cup of rice flour, pouring in gradually to mix. Turn off the flame and add 1 tbsp of split black gram flour and mix well. Once slightly cooled, apply some ghee to your hands to mix the dough while still warm. Cover and keep aside for 20 minutes to set.
- Apply a little ghee to your hands and knead the dough once more. Take a portion of the dough and cover in a bowl. Bind it well and roll it over a board into a long, thin rope. Cut the rope into 2.5 or 3 inch pieces, then join the ends to make rings.
- Heat the frying oil on medium-high heat in a pan and drop the rings in once the oil gets hot. Fry the rings until golden brown.
Keywords: chakli, ring murukku