Recipe credit: Madhura Bachal, Diwali Chicken Curry recipe
- 1 lb chicken
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 onions sliced
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp minced ginger
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 4 tsp grated coconut
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup water
- 8 tsp oil
- Whole garam masala — cloves, black pepper, cinnamon stick, bay leaf
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pressure cooker and add onions, frying until translucent.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry until the raw smell dies down. Then add turmeric powder and add in the chicken.
- Add water and sprinkle some salt to taste.
- Cook until the pressure cooker gives three whistles.
- In a pan, set the heat to medium and add grated coconut, roasting until golden brown. Remove from the pan once it’s finished, then heat 2 tsp oil in the pan.
- Add in whole garam masala and wait until it’s cooked. Then, add sliced onions and fry until brown.
- Combine roasted coconut, fried onions, minced garlic, minced ginger, tomato, and cumin powder in a blender and grind into a smooth paste. Add water as needed if it’s too thick.
- Heat up 4 tsp oil in a pan, then add the masala mixture and fry until the oil loosens from the spices. Then add the boiled chicken in and mix.
- Add water as needed to create the desired gravy texture. Sprinkle some salt to taste, and bring it to a boil for 10 minutes.
Keywords: Chicken Curry